A Home Grown Leader Who’s Committed to Serve
Councilman Geoff Rizzo
Torrance City Council, 2nd District
A Legacy of Giving Back
Geoff Rizzo is proud to uphold a strong family tradition of service to others. His father, the son of Italian immigrants, joined the U.S. military during WWII, fought bravely on D-Day at Omaha Beach and continued to serve in combat. After nearly a decade, he returned from the war a highly decorated officer, married Geoff’s mom – literally, the girl next door – and the two bought a home in Southwood to raise a family. With the deepest understanding of sacrifice and love of country, Geoff’s father impressed on him the importance of giving back to your community.
At a very young age Geoff lost his father to illness. A year later, his mother was stricken with a debilitating health crisis. Determined to meet his family’s challenges head on and help keep his mother in the home she loved, he cared for her while working, attending night school, and training at the police academy.
Geoff’s hard work paid of, and his dream of becoming a Torrance police officer became a reality. He proudly served with the Department for three decades, patrolling the streets of the 2nd District, protecting our city’s families and businesses. While working, raising a family and volunteering in the community, Geoff also earned a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in public administration.
Geoff retired from the police department in 2010, but his drive to serve others remains. He was soon appointed to and later later chaired the Torrance City Planning Commission, was elected to Torrance City Council in 2014 and has proudly served our city and its citizens ever since.
Geoff and his wife Donna have raised their two children – Ro and Anthony – in Geoff’s childhood home in Southwood.
Personal & Professional Experience
- Retired Torrance police lieutenant with an outstanding 30-year law enforcement career
- Life-long Southwood resident
- Attended St. James Elementary & Bishop Montgomery High School
- Youth sports coach, youth football commissioner & scout leader
- Volunteer – providing faith-based assistance to victims of domestic abuse and poverty
- Adjunct Professor, El Camino College MA, Public Administration, CSU, Dominguez Hills
- BS, Public Administration (Honors), CSU, Dominguez Hills
- AA, Administration of Justice, El Camino College
- Torrance City Councilmember for 5+ years
- Committee & Other Civic Service
- Torrance City Planning Commission, Chair
- Transportation Ad Hoc Committee
- Finance & Government Affairs Committee
- Employee Relations Committee
- Public Safety Ad Hoc Committees
- Armed Forces Day Committee
- Federal & State Legislative Committees (Alt)
Integrity. Committment. Experience. Community.
Vote for Councilman Geoff Rizzo
March 3, 2020